Seattle Tennis Club
In 1890, 39 leading citizens of this young, booming city on Elliott Bay founded the Olympic Tennis Club with two clay courts at the northwest corner of Madison Street and Minor Avenue on First Hill. The newspaper at the time reported that it was the only "large club" in Seattle. The birth of the Club coincided with the birth of another Seattle institution: The Washington State Open, which has called the Club home each year since. The name was formally changed from the Olympic Tennis Club to the Seattle Tennis Club at an 1896 annual meeting. By 1919, the membership realized the need for a larger facility and instructed the Board of Trustees to obtain the Firloch Canoe Club grounds on the shore of Lake Washington in Madison Park, a popular picnic destination.
Today’s Club sits on roughly eight acres on the pristine shores of Lake Washington and offers 19 tennis courts (including six indoor and three clay courts), a gymnasium, a fitness center, a massage room, squash courts, locker rooms, dining rooms, banquet facilities, a pool, private beach access, a boathouse and a Tennis Pro Shop.